Links & miscellanea
Here’s another set of interesting & beautiful things I’ve found recently. The featured image is an artist’s palette made by Scorch’s Pyrography.
- The Science Boutique. Jewellery themed on astrophysics, geography, and the history of science.
- Ariel Salaverria Custom Knives. Damascus steel & mokume tools.
- Beadmask – Leather masks & hair accessories.
- A couple of makers I came across on my recent Scottish holiday: hand-painted jewellery from Skaramanda and scarf charms & scarf rings from Ladycrow Silks.
- Sarah Cavender metalworks, including some rather nice Victorian-inspired metal mesh pieces.
- The Clockwork Firebird, whom I met at a steampunk event recently, makes leather equipment with gears, thorns, runes, and dragons. When I saw leather bracelets with “CAFFEINE” spelt out in Elder Futhark runes, I had to have one. Design for LARP games is an interesting topic all of its own, so I shall have to try & work up a proper post on it soon.
- Something I’m going to have to try myself: instructions for making handmade small-batch micarta (NB: Micarta is a specific trademarked material, but the name’s commonly used to refer to anything made from layers of cloth or paper impregnated with resin—you can make gorgeous, complex, incredibly strong artisan materials in the home workshop, out of second-hand paper or fabric.